The IEEE Concordia is a student branch of the global IEEE organization and is also under the umbrella of Concordia’s ECA. We are here to help all ENCS students with academic of personal projects and provide a network of cool people, no membership required. Come by and get to know us!
Some quick facts about IEEE Concordia:
- We organize a wide variety of academic events that encourage students to learn more about technology and engineering;
- We operate an open electronics lab, the McNaughton Learning Centre, with equipment and resources to help students work on both academic and personal projects;
- We provide hands-on practical experience both as part of events and through our open lab office hours;
- We hold several social events throughout the year that allow students to network and grow professionally;
- We provide a textbook library for ECE courses which students can consult as part of their studies;
- The Branch is operated and managed entirely by a dedicated group of volunteers, including both the Executive Committee, volunteer members and our lab staff. You can get involved too!
Learn today what you’ll need tomorrow!
Volunteer at IEEE Concordia
Getting involved with IEEE Concordia is also an excellent way of learning leadership and organizational skills. As a volunteer you can help set up our events, organize tutorials, create marketing material, and much more. This is a great way to get to know us and the branch so can can then become a lab supervisor or an executive member!
About the global IEEE
The IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) is the largest technical society in the world. As of 2013, the IEEE counts over 425 000 members from over 160 countries, including over 116 000 students. They are the ones who set many of the protocols and standards you learn about in class in addition to directly operating a wide variety of research initiatives, professional development resources, humanitarian programs, publications, and conferences.
Some quick facts about the IEEE globally:
- It is organized into 333 Sections in 10 geographic regions worldwide;
- IEEE Concordia is a student branch in the IEEE Montreal section in the IEEE Canada region.
- It has 2354 Student Branches at colleges and universities and 800 field-specific Student Branch Chapters;
- It supports 2195 field-specific Chapters, 38 Societies and 7 Technical Councils covering many interests;
- Its global library of publications and scholarly articles includes over 3 million documents;
- It is responsible for over 1400 major technical standards and projects.
The IEEE has expanded to cover computer, software, industrial, aerospace, and biomedical engineering; computer science; information technology and IT management; photonics; and a wide variety of other cool technological disciplines. The organization has a long history of innovation and has created charitable foundations at both the international and Canadian levels.
We encourage students to register for membership in the IEEE since they offer many benefits and perks. Members can stay up-to-date with all the latest breakthroughs in technology through a variety of publications, and also have access to the IEEE Xplore Digital Library, which contains millions of scholarly articles that are great for research papers!